In the state’s eyes, when you become an adoptive parent, you have the same rights as any other parent.
The Ohio Department of Job & Family Services also outlines some of the responsibilities you have as an adoptive parent, like:
• Meet the child’s basic needs for food, clothing and shelter
• Provide a safe environment for the child
• Welcome the child as an official and permanent member of your family
• Transport the child to all appointments and activities
• Monitor and strengthen the child’s academic progress
• Advocate for your child when services or resources are needed
• Provide consistent guidance and discipline
• Help the child understand their circumstances in the most positive, sensitive way possible
• Respect, honor and recognize the child’s heritage, identity, and culture
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ADOPTION, visit the ODJFS Site Here.