In the state’s eyes, when you become an adoptive parent, you have the same rights as any other birth parent.
The Ohio Department of Job & Family Services also outlines some of the responsibilities you have as an adoptive parent, like:
- Meet the child’s basic needs for food, clothing and shelter
- Provide a safe environment for the child
- Welcome the child as an official and permanent member of your family
- Transport the child to all appointments and activities
- Monitor and strengthen the child’s academic progress
- Advocate for your child when services or resources are needed
- Provide consistent guidance and discipline
- Help the child understand their circumstances in the most positive, sensitive way possible
- Respect, honor and recognize the child’s heritage, identity and culture
To learn more about adoption, visit the ODJFS site here.